coral reef ecology
+61 8 9219 9769
- +61 8 9334 0327
- Street Address
- 17 Dick Perry Avenue, Technology Park, Western Precinct, Kensington WA 6151, Australia
- Postal Address
- Locked Bag 104, Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983, Australia
Senior Research Scientist (Monitoring) — Marine Science Program.
Tom's primary role is to coordinate and oversee the Department's marine monitoring program, which opperates throughout Western Australia's marine park network. Additionally, he is responsible for the design and implementation of fish monitoring activities within these parks and reserves.
- Long-term monitoring design
- Fish recruitment
- Fish monitoring techniques
- Marine protected area management
- Community ecology
- Behavioural ecology
- BSc (Hons) James Cook University, Townsville 2004
- PhD James Cook University, Townsville, 2010
Current Academic Affiliation
- Oceans Institute, University of Western Australia, Crawley
- 2016 - Current: Senior Research Scientist (Monitoring), Department of Parks and Wildlife, Western Australia.
- 2008-2016: Research Scientist (Tropical), Department of Parks and Wildlife, Western Australia.
- International Society for Reef Studies
- Australian Society for Fish Biology
- Australian Coral Reef Society
- Reef Life Survey Foundation
- Coordination of the Department's marine monitoring program throughout Western Australia's marine park network
- Improving predictions of rocky reef ecosystem responses to human impacts
- Assessing the effectiveness of the Ningaloo Marine Park for conserving targeted fish communities
- Fish and macroalgal habitat associations within the Ningaloo Marine Park
- Long term recruitment dynamics of the Ningaloo Marine Park
- Distribution of fish communities within deeper waters of the Ningaloo Marine Park